How to maintain your love for God
Summary points from “Keeping the Heart” by John Flavel
How to maintain your love for God: when the church is oppressed:
1. Consider no trouble befalls the church but by the permission of her God and King.
2. Consider that her King is present in the midst of troubles.
3. Consider the great advantages attending the people of God in an afflicted condition.
4. Consider the many precious mercies which the people of God enjoy amidst all their troubles.
5. Consider that no matter how deep in troubles the church is plunged, she shall assuredly rise again.
6. Consider the instances of God’s care and tenderness over his people in former difficulties.
7. Consider that as you are sensitive to the troubles of the church, Christ is much more sensible and solicitous about her than you can be.